Best Breast Pumps for 2019
The breast pump has become one of the best allies for mothers during the period of breastfeeding. It is a device designed for extracting maternal milk, and is used for when you want to store breast milk so you can feed your baby if you are out. It may also be used to relive your breasts if there is an overproduction of breast milk, or to stimulate when you want to increase the production of milk.
Featured below are the advantages of this device, it will be a grand help at this stage of life. Do not miss out on this ultimate shopping guide to purchase the best breast pump that adapts to your needs.
Electric Breast Pump Mute Automatic Dual Breastpump Baby Infant Feeding With Usb
16.59£ 54.39 €
Electric Hand Free Double Breast Pump Automatic Intelligent Baby Feeder Usb Tran
When to use a breast pump?
The main reasons to use a breast pump are diverse and may vary depending on your needs:
- When the baby is premature.
- When the newborn has a malformation of the palate or lip which impedes them lactating.
- To store milk and be able to feed the baby when needed if the mother is absent.
- When the nipples have lesions that difficult breastfeeding.
- In the case of overproduction of milk ,the best thing is to extract the milk to avoid mastitis.
Actually, there are various types of breast pumps available on the market: manual, electric, simple or double, or decongestant. The manual one is for occasional use, it is portable and has a reservoir, breast cup,and extracting pump. It is easy to use but the extraction is slower in comparison to an electric one.
The electric pumps are the best option if you use them on a daily basis, they come with 1 or 2 breast cups, these are more practical because you can extract milk from both breasts which saves time. They are the working mums favourite as they spend a lot of time out of the house and need more extracting.
Another of the advantages is that it allows you to extract the milk in a light and easy way. Pediatricians also assure that these devices stimulate the milk production in the breasts in a greater way than the conventional pumps.
The professional devices and hospital devices are bigger in size and are costly. You can rent them and their use are limited to the first days of lactation. They are impractical due to their weight.
How to choose the best breast pump for you?
There are a vast variety of catalogues online on eBay and Amazon. On these websites you have the option to consult opinions and compare between products.
There we offer you some recommendations to choose a device adequately:
- Frequency of use: if you need to use it continuously or on a daily, it is preferable you choose an electric breast pump. However, for specific moments, choose a manual breast pump.
- Size of cup: the grand majority are designed with a medium size cup. If your breasts are bigger or smaller, look for one that adjusts to the volume of your breast to avoid lesions.
- Practicalities: an electric breast pump is very easy to use, you just need to press the button and wait for the device to do its job. However, with a manual breast pump you need to operate the trigger constantly to get the suction.
- Easy to clean: choose a breast pump that is easy and simple to clean and sterilize.
- Manufacturer's warranty: the reference brands are Medela, Philips or Chicco which comply with strictest tests for hygiene and functionality.
- Price: look for option with the best price-quality ratio. You can find breast pumps that cost 30€ to over 100€, depending on their functions.
- Opinions of other mothers: every woman lives her process differently and their opinions are subjective. However, you can learn from them and their experiences.
One of the most recognised brand names is Medela. They have various models of electric breast pumps that simulate the suckling of a baby with their 2-phase expression technology. You can also use bottles of the same brand without any issues, to collect the milk. This way the stimulation and extraction is done in a continuous and hygienic way. It is easy to use, it is quite and has the option to change from stimulation to extraction with the flick of a switch.
The Avent breast pump includes a bottle of 125 ml with at natural silicone teat. It is popular as it is cheaper than Medela. The replacements are easily found in any store and the Avent accessories are compatible with the breast pump.
Device user tips
- Wash your breast before extracting milk. Soap and water is sufficient.
- Look for a place where you are comfortable and relaxed.
- Sit in a comfortable chair or armchair while you are using the breast pump.
- Be patience. In the beginning one a few drops will come out. Slowly but surely the milk will flow in a continuous way.
- The electric breast pump starts when you switch it on, whereas a manual breast pump you need to press the trigger constantly.
- Consult your doctor if you observe any allergic reactions on your breasts or in your baby's mouth.
If you are going to combine breastfeeding with bottle feeding, look for a dummy that is adequate for your baby, hygienic, comfortable and safe. Another recommended accessory is the sterile one use bags for storing milk, they take up little space in the fridge. Some attach perfectly to the device and you can transfer the milk from the device to the bag with no problem at all.
The sterilizer is another accessory that helps working mothers because they leave the bottles free of germs in no time at all. You always need to evaluate which one adjusts to your baby's needs: there are some that can take various bottles at once, others use the microwave, some use vapour and others are electric or need a tablet to sterilize.
Maternity is one of the most emotional times in life,specially for a first time mum. You may feel overwhelmed with all the advice and recommendations from friends and family, and sometimes they may contradict. Do not worry, read the information of the manufacturer and choose the breast pump and bottle that adapts to your needs.
Consult your pediatricians and your midwife if you see that the extraction of milk is not effective or if you observe any reactions after the use.